Earth Day is observed every April 22 to celebrate our amazing planet and all the life it supports. It’s also the day we remind ourselves of our responsibility to protect and preserve the environment. One of the easiest ways we can do that is by being more mindful of our shopping habits. Every product we buy has an impact on the environment–from the materials it’s made of, to the energy it uses, to the waste it creates.
So, here are some environmentally friendly shopping ideas from the Microsoft Start team to inspire you to be more sustainable:
Beauty and Wellness
It’s no secret that the beauty and wellness industries generate a lot of waste, but there are ways to be more sustainable in your daily routine. Here are some great products from companies that prioritize sustainability:
Looking to reduce waste but love beauty and wellness products? Try this:
1. Opt for products with minimal packaging or choose brands that use eco-friendly materials like glass or recycled plastic.
2. Consider using washable makeup remover pads instead of disposable wipes.
3. Choose products made from organic, plant-based ingredients – they’re better for your body and the environment!
Using eco-friendly household products is another great way to live a more sustainable lifestyle – especially by choosing non-toxic products and eliminating single-use plastics. Some of our favorite ideas include using reusable glass containers, mesh produce bags for grocery shopping and beeswax wraps instead of plastic wraps:
If you’re looking to be more eco-friendly at home, here are some tips:
1. Use reusable cleaning cloths instead of disposable paper towels.
2. Compost food waste to reduce landfill waste.
3. Use a clothesline or drying rack instead of a dryer.
Fast fashion has a huge negative environmental impact, but you can reduce waste by shopping ethically and used. Did you know that you can buy secondhand clothing on Shopping from Microsoft Start, which features deals from brands like ThredUp and Poshmark? You can also buy from companies that use natural, organic fibers. Check out some of our favorite options for sustainable clothing:
Make these fashion choices more eco-friendly:
1. Shop for clothes that are made to last with high-quality materials and durable stitching.
2. Look for clothing made of sustainable materials like organic cotton, bamboo and hemp.
3. Try hosting a clothing swap with friends and family!
All these changes might be small but together they can make a huge difference. By being more mindful of the products that we buy, we can reduce our environmental impact and inspire others to do the same. So, here’s to doing our part to protect our planet for generations to come.
Happy Earth Day!